19 June, 2006

Cancel the World Cup?

Since the miserable performance of Iran in the World Cup and to mark our exit from the tournament with one game to spare, I will write on it. Originally I was trying to get to Germany and watch one of the games (preferably against Mexico) so I'm kinda glad that I'm not there. If I were at Mexico Game I would run on the field and would try to get even with the damn Goalie who cannot kick the ball to save his life.

Since the 1-3 lost to Mexico was a disturbing (it was made worst by the fact that a compadre from San Diego called it luckily) I thought I would go on the Tehran Highways and get an adrenalin rush. Didn't happen, there were too people on the highway cheering and jeering the lost and honking and some were dancing, one of them looked at me and shouted "hey think we won and be happy"
I gave it a thought, … neh I'm too much in touch with reality to do such things.
A week passed by and The Portugal game, which we lost 0-2. Within half an hour on the final whistle the jokes were being text message about the Supreme Leader football, and Ali Karimi and a ban on Oranges.

But next day papers were quite serious about the loss, one of them (shargh) took the loss so seriously that it went all the way to analyzing the society and suggesting some changes in the people behave so our sport culture would benefit. Well, I also think some changes are needed but
#1 as far as football is concerned; I don't think it would do us as much good as getting a real Goalie and a faster striker,
#2, I think we would be wasting a lot effort and time if we concentrate on changing our culture for the sake of football.

The good thing about how the tournament is going is that after our next game against Angola, I can get out and travel around. The whole reason I m hoping for a win is that after a win of Team Melli, Tehran falls in a 6-10 hour long state of "anarchyin good spirit." From these kinda of partying, I've heard stories and I'm pretty much sure that legends are unmade and remade and sometimes just made.

So let's hope for a win against the Boys from Angola, I havn't been in a 15 million people party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home